The news media has been awash with the announcement by The Prime Minister - Scott Morrison - during a press conference, outlining that Australian Businesses, government agencies and other entities are under an active cyber attack campaign by a “sophisticated state-based actor".
Learn about the best first things you can do to improve your cyber security posture, and marvel at how bad my drawing skills are! (and please excuse the hiccup the camera gymbal had at the beginning).
For more information:
- Ensure you have a firewall protecting your network – a router is not a firewall! (see https://www.www.calvert.net.au/2017/06/20/firewalls-dont-make-good-movie-stars/ for more information)
- Ensure all key systems are updated with the latest security and reliability patches
- Enable multi-factor authentication for your login identities wherever possible
- Do not use the same password across multiple sites (see https://www.www.calvert.net.au/2017/09/26/protect-online-identities-sanity/ for simple and practical steps)
- Australian Government announcement about the cyber attacks: https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/cyber-attack-in-australia-china-the-chief-suspect-behind-attack/news-story/44d60fdd551cfd890a0d4c14be5b15a7